Spring Power Clinics - Body Checking and Power Skating
Details (Pee Wees and Bantams Only)
It's vital that young hockey players are fully prepared when entering the age levels where body checking and increased body contact are legal.
Size and strength play a limited role if players are properly trained on body position, angles, correct posture, etc.
Power skating will be the focus of the first 25 minutes -- then the players will be split by level. Pee Wee will focus on body position and puck protection. Bantam will focus on age-appropriate body checking and hitting.
The camp is lead by NHL Veterans David A. Jensen and Glen Featherstone. In addition, DAJ's popular certified counselors will be hand to insure proper teaching and maintain our 4:1 player to coach ratio.
Your young hockey player will be ready for the next level after this camp.
1. Positioning and Angling – This is the first step in teaching checking. Learn how to control skating and to establish position to approach the opponent from an angle that minimizes time and space for the opponent.
2. Stick Checking – Effectively use the stick for poke checking, sweep checking, lifting or locking the opponent’s stick.
3. Body Contact – Use the body to block the opponent’s way or take away his skating lanes. The correct stance and effective use of leg strength are important parts of these techniques.
4. Body Checking – (11-15 group only) This includes teaching techniques to give and receive a body check safely and within the rules.
- Forward and Backwards Crossovers
- Pivots and Tight Turns
- Understanding of Edges
- Correct Stopping Technique
- Explosive Starts
- Stride Extension and Power
- And so much more ...
SPRING POWER CLINIC SCHEDULE
ALL SESSIONS WILL BE HELD AT ROCKLAND ICE RINK
Tuesday May 10
Tuesday May 17
Tuesday May 24
Tuesday May 31
Tuesday June 7
Tuesday June 14
PEEWEE/BANTAM DIVISION 6:30 – 7:20 pm
Cost Per Skater: $195*
*Early Bird Special -- Register by April 10 and Save $20!